Marilyn Moore


Marilyn Moore



February 2, 2021

Senator Marilyn Moore Relieved as Nearly $500 Million in Federal Emergency Relief Funds Released in Effort to Reduce Educational Disparities, Including $41 Million in Local Funds

Today, State Senator Marilyn Moore (D-Bridgeport) said she is relieved to see the release of $492.43 million in federal Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Funds throughout Connecticut, including over $41 million in funds in the 22nd district. That funding is dedicated to targeting and reducing educational disparities among students that have been further exacerbated from the pandemic, with possible uses including additional classroom supports, intensive tutoring, and enhanced summer school programming.

“This is much-needed news for our district,” said Sen. Moore. “There are over 40 million dollars heading to help children in Bridgeport receive the education they deserve. Resources have been tight and our children need more help during the pandemic and I am thankful to our Connecticut Federal Delegation for securing funding to make sure each student has an equal opportunity to learn.”

In Sen. Moore’s district, Bridgeport is receiving $40,569,188 in funding, Trumbull is receiving $703,860 in funding, and Monroe is receiving $512,143 in funding with an additional $84,905 in funding going to District No. 9 in Monroe.

Connecticut received $492.43 million in funding in the latest allotment, increasing total Emergency Relief Funds received to just over $600 million. As part of the federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 90 percent of the funding will be allocated to municipal education groups, while the remaining 10 percent will be used for state-level activities.

Approved uses of the funds include coordinating improved COVID-19 response, prevention and preparation efforts; addressing learning loss among students, including groups seen to experience increased learning loss such as low-income students, children with disabilities, English learners, racial and ethnic minorities, students experiencing homelessness and children and youth in foster care; addressing individual schools’ needs; improving sanitation on school campuses; and improving indoor air quality in schools while reducing the risk of environmental health hazards, among others.